To employ or to be employed - that is the question?

Is there a work life balance in a chefs life... are you better off working for somebody else or owning your own place? what are the benefits of being employed or being the employer?

There are thousands of jobs out there for chefs.... Head Chef, Sous Chef, Commis but the reason for this is that in most kitchens if you cannot take the pace, pressure and heat your out. Its a tough environment to work in and yet a true Chef wouldn't change it for the world.... they are passionate about their vocation and live and breath everything that is to do with food.

1 comment:

Hilary Battes said...

I think about this all the time. As soon as my husband became a cook and later a chef, we assumed the ultimate goal was to own a restaurant. But the more I see decent restaurants failing the more I think that maybe staying under the safety umbrelly of Jean-Georges is a better idea. A million things can go wrong and people have had to put up their homes when their busines fails. For now, I'm happy with my chef where he is.